7 a.m. breakfast, 8 a.m. departure, two-hour drive to Thimphu. Your guide and driver will take you anywhere you desire. On past tours we found that participants had their own ideas about what is interesting in Thimphu so we include here a list of current events and places to see and leave this decision up to you. Picnic lunch will be served beside the roaring Cheri Chuu (river) around 1 p.m.
List of things to see and do in Thimphu: (* = Robin's favorites.)
- *Memorial Chorten
- *Paper factory for handmade paper--great for printing photos of Bhutan
- *Weekend Market
- National Institute of Traditional Medicine
- Buddha Point
- Two good book stores for books on Bhutan
- Paradise Temple (Only if there are pilgrims there—ask your guide.)
- Check the National Stadium for archery competition or practice.
- We recommend the Choki Arts and Handicraft store for souvenirs
- We recommend coffee and sweets at the Arts Cafe next to the Swiss Bakery.
- Takin refuge--Bhutan’s national animal
- *Changangkha Lhakhang “Children’s Temple” an antique temple where parents bring their children for blessings and to determine names.
- *Stop at the “supermarket” to pick up munchies and favorite food supplies (Cadbury chocolates?) for the trip ahead.